There are many reasons to use PRO rootstocks instead of Natal Briar or own rooted cuttings:
Due to enhanced root efficiency the plants will produce more biomass. This will be either more, thicker or longer stems. In general 10-30 % more yield expressed in kg/m2 is possible. Depending on the rootstock – variety combination this means either:
- more stems
- more length
- heavier stems
or a combination of the above.
PRO rootstocks allow the plants to grow much more vital. This results in less stressed healthier plants. As a result we see:
- Less agrobacterium
- Lower use of chemicals
- Stronger plants in general
- Less plants per hectare: growers have found that they can plant less plants per hectare with the same or better results. This allows the roses to fully develop and grow strong. We generally advise to plant 6,5/7,5 plants m2 depending on the variety and the greenhouse technology used.
- The PRO roostocks offer a choice: do you want more, longer and/or thicker stems? This allows you to produce roses for your specific market.
- More efficient roots means healthier plants that have better prune resistance and are less sensitive for diseases.
- Easier to maintain: cutting down the “table” after a few years is easier and has less impact on the plants
Well tested and reliable
Protatu and Protano are not new. Both rootstocks have been tested for more than 7 years on commercial farms in Africa and the Netherlands. At Stokman Rozen Kenya we keep a bed of Sonrisa which is now 12 years old and still producing!
As of today we have experience with hundreds of varieties both in commercial plantings or trials. We are happy to advise you on the best rootstock for the variety you want to plant.
Our rootstocks are available for commercial rose growers. Please contact us or one of our distributors & partners if you are interested. Our distributors are happy to show you around in the show houses in the Netherlands, Kenya, Ethiopia, Ecuador, Colombia and India.
Interested? Contact us or one of our distributors world wide